In my previous post, I have shown you that my old Compaq Presario CQ42 was running Windows 10 Technical Preview (Build 9841). Most of apps are running well though lots of bugs are there since it is a technical preview operating system.
Just two days ago, on 23 Jan 2015, Microsoft released a new build of Windows 10 Pro Technical Preview. The build number is 9926. It comes with the new Cortana integration on desktop, tweaks to Start menu and user interface, a new XBox app and more. Looks interesting features to try.
Since I already have Windows 10 Tech Preview build 9841 installed on my laptop, it is very easy to update to the latest build. This post is intended to show you how to update Windows 10 Tech Preview build 9841 to Windows 10 Pro Technical Preview build 9926.
If you have not installed the Windows 10 Tech Preview before, then you need to download Windows 10 Technical Preview ISO file from Microsoft website. Then you need to create a bootable USB flash drive to boot it to your PC / laptop.
1. Click the Start menu, then search for ‘windows update settings’.
2. Click the Windows Update Settings. PC Settings window will appear.
3. Click Preview builds in the left and then click Download now button in the right side.
4. Windows is downloading the preview build. It may take several minutes / hours depending on internet speed you have.
5. Once downloaded, Windows will tell you that the PC need to be restarted to start the update.
6. Based-on my experience, the updating process took around 45 minutes and the PC restarted several times. Just wait patiently while Windows is updating.
7. Once it updated, you will see a new tweak Start menu, taskbar, and user interface as on the screenshots below:
Hopefully this post is helpful for you on how to update Windows 10 Technical Preview to latest build 9926.
Windows 10 Build 10041 was released on 18 March. It comes with new features and improvements including new network fly-out from the taskbar, new Text Input Canvas, improving the Start experience, improvements to Virtual Desktops, and more. To get faster update from build 9926 to 10041, make sure that in Advanced options under Windows Update settings you select Fast on how preview builds are installed.
The screenshot above shows the improvements on the Start menu. It now looks transparent.